|<< Previous Data Element||Outpatient Output Table of Contents||Next Data Element >>|
|Data Element Name: Other Diagnosis Code 1-14|
|SPARCS Data Element Number: 50|
|Record Positions: See Group Definition||Format-Length: A/N - 6|
|Effective Date: 1/1/1994||Revision Date: January 2003|
Other Diagnoses include all conditions that coexisted at the time of admission, or developed subsequently, which affected the treatment received and/or length of stay. Diagnoses that relate to an earlier episode, which had no bearing on the current hospital stay, were excluded.
Conditions should have been coded that affected patient care in terms of requiring: clinical evaluation, therapeutic treatment, diagnostic procedures, extended length of hospital stay, or increased nursing care and/or monitoring.Codes and Values:
- Must have been a valid ICD-9-CM code excluding the decimal point. To have been valid,
ICD-9-CM codes must have been entered at the most specific level to which they are
classified in the ICD-9-CM Tabular List. Three digit codes further divided at the four
digit level must have been entered using all four digits. Four digit codes further sub
classified at the five digit level must have been entered using all five digits. Failure
to enter all required digits in the diagnosis codes would have caused the record to be
- Must have been left justified and entered exactly as shown in the ICD-9-CM coding
reference, excluding the decimal point, and space filled.
- Only E-codes in the range of E930.0 thru E949.9 are valid as Other Diagnosis Codes.
Other E-codes are to be reported in External Cause-of-Injury Code
(Data Element 57) and
(Data Element 58). Prior to 1990 and after December 1, 1998, additional E-codes
could have been reported as valid Other Diagnosis Codes.
- If this field was not applicable, it must have contained blanks.
- Edits pertaining to ICD-9-CM codes are validated on the basis of the Discharge Date
(Data Element 6) and Expected
(Data Element 21) depending on conditions described in
Appendix N, which includes age-specific
and sex-specific diagnosis code conditions.
- When the edit flag on the ICD-9-CM reference file for an "unacceptable principal
diagnosis without and secondary diagnosis" was applicable for the Principal Diagnosis
Code (Data Element 49), an Other
Diagnosis Code 1 must have also been reported.
- Diagnosis codes reported in the range of 800.00-999.99 required the reporting of a valid External Cause of Injury Code (Data Element 57) unless listed as an exception in Appendix N.