|<< Previous Data Element||Outpatient Output Table of Contents||Next Data Element >>|
|Data Element Name: External Cause-of-Injury Code|
|SPARCS Data Element Number: 57|
|Record Positions: 1676 - 1681||Format-Length: A/N - 6|
|Effective Date: 1/1/2003||Revision Date: January 2003|
This is the ICD-9-CM code for the external cause of an injury, poisoning, or adverse effect. Hospitals complete this item whenever there is a diagnosis of an injury, poisoning, or adverse effect. The priorities for recording an External Code (E-Code) are: (1) principal diagnosis of an injury or poisoning, (2) other diagnosis of an injury, poisoning, or adverse effect directly related to the principal diagnosis, and (3) other diagnosis with an external cause.
Only the first E-Code is recorded in this item. Additional E-Codes were not entered.Codes and Values:
- Must have been a valid ICD-9-CM "E" code, excluding the decimal point. To be valid,
the code must have been entered at the most specific level classified in the ICD-9-CM
Tabular List. Three digit codes further divided to the four digit level must have
been entered using all four digits plus the prefix letter "E". Failure to enter the
prefix "E" and all required digits would have caused the record to reject.
- Must have been left justified including the prefix letter "E" and all digits exactly
as shown in the ICD-9-CM coding reference excluding the decimal point, and space
- E-Codes in the range E849.0 E849.9 and E930.0-E949.9 are invalid.
- If this field was not applicable, it contains blanks.
- A valid entry was required in this field when either the Principal Diagnosis Code
(Data Element 52) or an Other
Diagnosis Code 1-14
(Data Element 50) reported was in the range 800.00-999.99.
- When an External Cause-of-Injury Code in the range of E850.0 to E869.9 or E880.0 to
E928.9 was reported, then a Place-of-Injury Code
(Data Element 58) must also
have been reported.
- Prior to 1990, E-codes were reported in the Other Diagnosis Code 1-14 field
(Data Element 50).
- After December 1, 1998, additional E-codes may have been reported in the Other Diagnosis Code 1-14 field (Data Element 50).