|<< Previous Data Element||Outpatient Output Table of Contents||Next Data Element >>|
|Data Element Name: Place-of-Injury Code|
|SPARCS Data Element Number: 58|
|Record Positions: 1682 - 1687||Format-Length: A/N - 6|
|Effective Date: 1/1/2003||Revision Date: January 2003|
The code, which identifies the place where the injury reported, in External Cause-of-Injury Code (Data Element 57), occurred.Codes and Values:
- External Place-of-Injury Codes in the range of E849.0 E849.9 were the only
- Must have been a valid ICD-9-CM "E" code excluding the decimal point. To be valid,
the code must have been entered at the most specific level classified in the ICD-9-CM
Tabular List. Three digit codes further divided to the four digit level must have
been entered using all four digits plus the prefix letter "E". Failure to enter the
prefix "E" and all required digits would have caused the record to reject.
- Must have been left justified including the prefix letter "E" and all digits exactly
as shown in the ICD-9-CM coding reference excluding the decimal point, and space
- If this field was not applicable, it contains blanks.
- Must have been reported when External Cause-of-Injury Code
(Data Element 57)
was in the range of E850.0-E869.9 or E880.0-E928.9.
- Prior to 1990, E-codes were reported in the Other Diagnosis Code 1-14 field
(Data Element 50).
- After December 1, 1998, additional E-codes may have been reported in the Other Diagnosis Code 1-14 field (Data Element 50).