Internet and Telephone Orders
The New York State Department of Health does not accept credit cards or on-line orders for vital records. However, for your convenience, you can process on-line requests through VitalChek Network, Inc., an independent company that we have partnered with in order to provide this service. VitalChek can be reached either through its website, www.vitalchek.com, or by phone at 1-877-854-4481. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service. VitalChek accepts all major credit cards, including American Express®, Discover®, Visa® and MasterCard®.
- VitalChek Processing Charge - $8.00 per transaction and includes all certificate copies requested.
- UPS Return Delivery Charge (optional) - $15.50 per transaction to destinations within the continental United States; call VitalChek at 1-877-854-4481 for rates to other destinations.
- Certified Copy Fee (Priority Handling) - Internet and telephone requests receive priority handling. The $45.00 fee for each certified copy of a birth, marriage, death or divorce certificate requested includes a $15.00 (per copy) priority handling fee.
- The total cost of the New York State copy fee, priority handling fee, VitalChek processing charge and UPS charge (if applicable), will be posted to your credit card account.
- You must use your own major credit card.
How long will it take?
Internet or telephone requests receive priority handling and are processed within five (5) to ten (10) business days of receipt.
To order copies which are not available from the New York State Department of Health by internet or telephone
- For copies of New York City birth and death certificates, visit the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene web site.
- For copies of New York City issued marriage licenses, visit the New York City Marriage Bureau web site.
- For copies to be sent to a Post Office Box or to a third party, visit our mail order request web page.
- For genealogy copies, visit our genealogy web page.
Application must be submitted with copies of either A or B:
- One (1) of the following forms of valid photo-ID:
- Driver license
- State issued non-driver photo-ID card
- U.S. Military issued photo-ID
- Two (2) of the following showing the applicant's name and address:
- Utility or telephone bills
- Letter from a government agency dated within the last six (6) months
- Failure to include necessary identification will result in rejection of your application.
- Copy of Passport required in addition to the above ID if request is made from a foreign country that requires a U.S. Passport for travel.
To place an order
- Order on-line over the Internet.
- Order by telephone - Call VitalChek Toll Free at 1-877-854-4481.