Vital Records Walk-in Services
The Vital Records Office provides eligible applicants with copies of birth and death certificates for births and deaths in New York State outside of New York City (1881-present), marriage licenses obtained in New York State outside of New York City (1880-present) and dissolution of marriage certificates for all of New York State (1963-present).
Vital Records Customer Service Lobby:800 North Pearl Street
2nd Floor - Room 200
Menands, NY 12204
The Vital Records customer service lobby is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Eastern time, excluding holidays.
For those driving to 800 North Pearl Street, visitor parking, including handicap parking, is available.
If you are driving from the north or the south, take I-787 to Exit 6, the Route 32 (Broadway) exit for Menands. Turn left (South) onto Route 32. Travel about a mile to Wolfert Avenue (a Stewart's Shop is on the corner) and turn right onto Wolfert. One block up is North Pearl Street. Turn right (North) onto North Pearl and follow to the end. The 800 North Pearl Street parking lot is at the end of North Pearl. Follow the signs to visitors parking near the front of the building.
If you are driving from the east or west, take I-90 to I-787 North then follow the directions above.
For those using public transportation, the most accessible CDTA bus route is the Second Avenue # 6 Bus. Passengers should disembark at the intersection of Wolfert Avenue and North Pearl Street (near the Channel 13 Building). 800 North Pearl Street is located 2-blocks north on North Pearl Street.
Genealogists using the Vital Records indexes at the New York State Archives located on the 11th floor of the Cultural Education Center (Museum Building) may submit completed applications with required check or money order (no cash) at the designated drop-off point on the 11th floor. Applications will be delivered by interagency mail to the Vital Records processing center at 800 North Pearl Street. Alternatively, genealogists may hand-deliver applications to 800 North Pearl Street.
How long will it take?
For Certified Copies:
- Requests ordered with regular handling will be processed within two (2) weeks and mailed to the applicant.
- Requests ordered with priority handling are usually processed and available for pickup the same day (when ordered by 3:30 pm) or the next day (if ordered after 3:30 pm).
For Genealogy Copies:
Processing a genealogy request may take eight (8) months. If the municipality where the event took place is known, submitting your request directly to the local registrar or municipal clerk may save considerable time.
If no record is on file, a No Record Certification is issued and the fee is not refunded. We cannot verify in advance whether a record is or is not on file.
For Certified Copies:
- Regular handling: The fee is $30.00 per copy for birth, marriage, death and divorce records.
- Priority handling: The fee is $45.00 per copy for birth, marriage, death and divorce records.
For Genealogy Copies:
- Please visit our genealogy web page for more information and the genealogy research fee schedule.
You may pay with cash, check or money order. We are unable to accept credit or debit cards at our customer service office. If you wish to pay by credit card and you are ordering Certified Copies, you may want to consider ordering by internet or telephone.
Applications for certified copies at the walk-in window must be accompanied by one of the following:
- Driver license
- State issued non-driver photo-ID card
- U.S. Military issued photo-ID
Failure to provide necessary identification will result in rejection of your application.
Record Availability and Eligibility Requirements
Certified Copies of Birth, Death, Marriage and Divorce Records
For important information about what records are available and who is eligible to receive copies of records, visit these pages:
For more information about the types of records available for genealogy, limitations on availability, and additional genealogical resources, visit our genealogy web page.
Genealogy copies are not available for same day pickup at the walk-in window. However, we can accept your application and payment at the window. Your record will be mailed to you.
Third Party Pickup
If you must have your record picked up by a third party, please follow these steps carefully:
- Provide the third party with a signed, dated, and notarized letter stating who will be picking up your record, which record they will be picking up, and that you grant them permission to get the record for you.
- If the letter is notarized before an official outside of the State of New York, it must be accompanied by a certificate of authentication.
- Send a completed and signed application form with the third party. You may download the appropriate form from the Mail-Order page. Complete, print, and sign the application form (but do not mail).
- You must include copies of your identification (see requirements above).
- The person picking up your record will be required to provide proof of his or her identity (following the same requirements listed above) and will need to co-sign the application form.
Any discrepancies or a failure to fulfill all of the above requirements may cause the Vital Records Office to be unable to issue the requested record.