Aquatic Certifications for Bathing Facilities
Fact Sheet - February 2015
- Aquatic Certifications for Bathing Facilities is available in Portable Document Format (PDF).
Standards for aquatic/lifeguard certifications are contained in New York State Sanitary Code Subpart 6-1, Section 6-1.31, Swimming Pools; Subpart 6-2, Section 6-2.20, Bathing Beaches; Subpart 7-2, Section 7-2.5(g), Children's Camps. When the State Sanitary Code requires "lifeguard supervision" or a "qualified lifeguard" at a bathing facility, an approved lifeguard certification SPECIFIC to the type of bathing facility is required.
- All lifeguards must possess separate cardiopulmonary resuscitation certification in an approved course, unless otherwise indicated in the below table. All CPR certificates are valid for 1 year from course completion, regardless of the expiration date noted on the card.
- Lifeguard certifications shall be valid for the time period specified by the certifying agency, but may not exceed a consecutive 3-year period from course completion. Multiyear lifeguard certifications that include CPR require a CPR certification each year.
- Children's camp lifeguards must be at least 17 years of age, except:
- A maximum of 50% of the required lifeguards on duty may be 16 years of age; and
- Lifeguards for wilderness swimming must be at least 18 years of age.
- Supervising lifeguards must possess at least Supervision Level IIb certification, be at least 18 years old, and have at least 2 seasons of lifeguarding experience.
Marked boxes indicate acceptability
|Provider||Certification Title||Level 1
Pool & Beach
|American Lifeguard Association1||Lifeguarding Instructor-Led Course||X|
|Waterpark Lifeguarding Instructor-Led Course||X|
|Waterfront Lifeguarding Instructor-Led Course||X||X|
|American Red Cross2||Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED (New Format)||X|
|Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED with Waterpark Skills Module (New Format)||X|
|Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED with Waterfront Skills Module (New Format)3||X||X|
|Boy Scouts of America4||Lifeguard, BSA||X||X|
|Aquatics Instructor, BSA||X||X|
|Breezy Point Cooperative, Inc.||Breezy Point Surf Lifeguard||X|
|Cattaraugus County EMS||Cattaraugus County EMS Lifeguard Training Program||X||X|
|Ellis & Associates Inc., International Lifeguard Training Program5||Pool Lifeguard Training||X|
|Special Facilities Lifeguard Training||X|
|Special Facilities Lifeguard Training with Open Water Training6||X||X|
|Hamptons Consortium||Hamptons Consortium Surf Lifeguard||X||X||X|
|Incorporated Village of Saltaire||Ocean Lifeguard Certificate||X|
|Bay Front Lifeguard Certificate||X|
|Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums||"Day Camp Only"||X|
|New York City Department of Parks||Municipal Lifeguard||X||X||X|
|Municipal Lifeguard "pool only"||X|
|New York State Department of Environmental Conservation||New York State Lifeguard||X||X|
|Royal Life Saving Society, Canada7||National Lifeguard Service Pool||X|
|National Lifeguard Service Waterfront||X|
|National Lifeguard Service Surf||X|
|National Lifeguard Service Waterpark||X|
|Starfish Aquatics Institute, Inc.8||StarGuard Best Practices for Lifeguards||X|
|StarGuard Best Practices for Lifeguards with Waterfront Specialty Module Training9||X||X|
|Suffolk County Department of Parks||Ocean Lifeguard Training||X|
|Stillwater Lifeguard Training Course||X|
|Town of Babylon||Ocean Lifeguard||X||X||X|
|Stillwater Lifeguard Training Course||X||X|
|Town of Brookhaven||Ocean Theory Course||X||X||X|
|Town of East Hampton||Surf Lifeguard||X||X||X|
|Pool and Beach Lifeguard||X||X|
|Town of Islip||Surf Lifeguard||X||X||X|
|Pool and Beach Lifeguard||X||X|
|Town of Southampton||Ocean Lifeguard||X||X||X|
|Village of Ocean Beach||Ocean Beach Atlantic Ocean Lifeguard Course||X||X||X|
|2011 Edition Lifeguard Certification||X||X|
|SHALLOW WATER CERTIFICATION|
|Provider||Certification Title||Valid for Shallow Pools as Indicated|
|American Lifeguard Association1||Shallow Water Lifeguard Instructor-Led Course||Water depths of 4 feet or less.|
|American Red Cross2||Shallow Water Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED (New Format)||Water depths of 5 feet or less.|
|Shallow Water Attendant||Water depths of 4 feet or less.|
|Aquatic Attraction Lifeguarding||Water depths of 3 feet or less.|
|Ellis & Associates Inc., International Lifeguard Training Program5||Shallow Water Lifeguard||Water depths of 5 feet or less.|
- Certificate must state the words "Instructor-Led Course"
- A certification in the old ARC curriculum remains valid until expiration, BUT no later than 8/30/2015, as courses in the old ARC curriculum will no longer be taught after 8/31/2012. For courses indicated as New Format, the following apply:
- Lifeguarding and first aid certifications are valid for 2 years from date of issuance.
- A separate certificate for CPR is NOT required in first year of certification.
- The waterfront skills module may be a separate certificate.
- All certifications are valid for 3 years from date of issuance and card holder must be at least 15 years of age (17 years of age for children's camps).
- Separate certificate for CPR is not required in the first year of certification.
- Certificate must indicate completion of Open Water Training.
- All certifications are valid for 2 years from date of issuance.
- Certification is valid for 1 year from date of issuance and certificate must specify "Meets NY State Department of Health Regulations." Separate Certicate for CPR is not required in the first year of certification.
- In "Specialty Module Training" section of certification card, "Waterfront" must not be crossed out.