Why is Breastfeeding Important for your Baby?
Breast milk helps keep your baby healthy.
- It supplies all the necessary nutrients in the proper proportions.
- It protects against allergies, sickness, and obesity.
- It protects against diseases, like diabetes and cancer.
- It protects against infections, like ear infections.
- It is easily digested – no constipation, diarrhea or upset stomach.
- Babies have healthier weights as they grow.
- Breastfed babies score higher on IQ tests.
Breast milk changes constantly to meet babies' needs.
The milk changes in volume and composition according to the time of day, nursing frequency, and age of baby to promote healthy growth. Breast milk is the perfect food for your baby.
Breast milk is always ready and good for the environment.
- It is available wherever and whenever your baby needs it.
- It is always at the right temperature, clean and free.
- No bottles to clean.
- Breastfeeding has no waste, so it is good for the environment.
Why is Breastfeeding Important for You?
Mothers who breastfeed:
- Have a reduced risk of Type 2 Diabetes and certain cancers such as breast cancer
- May find it easier to return to what they weighed before they got pregnant
- Strengthen the bond with their children
Making it Work – You Can Do It!
Some helpful hints:
- Breastfeed soon after birth and breastfeed frequently 8 to 12 times in a 24 hour period.
- Hold your baby skin-to-skin.
- Keep your baby with you in the hospital.
- Do not give a pacifier or bottle until breastfeeding is well established.
- Give only breast milk.
Breastfeed: Give the Gift of a Lifetime to Your Baby.
- "Breastfeed: Give the Gift of a Lifetime to Your Baby"
- "Lactancia materna: Dele a su bebé el regalo único" is available as a Spanish PDF (PDF, 318KB)
- "餵哺母乳 給寶寶一份一輩子受益的禮物" is available as a Chinese PDF (PDF, 627KB)
Breastfeeding Media Campaign TV PSAs
- Breastfeeding Campaign Video #1 - YouTube.com
- Breastfeeding Campaign Video #2 - YouTube.com
- Breastfeeding Campaign Healthy Baby Video #1 - YouTube.com
- Breastfeeding Campaign Healthy Baby Video #2 - YouTube.com
The Hospital Experience booklet
- The Hospital Experience - Booklet (PDF, 1.52MB, 18pg.)