Transition from Adolescence to Independence

Healthy and Ready to Work (HRTW)

Healthy and Ready To Work is a national resource center dedicated to facilitating the transition of children with special health care needs from pediatric to adult health care and to post secondary education and/or employment. It promotes a comprehensive system of family- centered, quality health care, and youth participation in decision making. HRTW provides resources and tools, such as Bright Future ( that help youth, families and health providers in the transition process.

Web site:
Healthy and Ready To Work (HRTW)
Mallory Cyr, Youth Coordinator
Phone: 207-576-1980
Fax: 207-685-4455

Heath Resource Center

Heath is an online clearinghouse on postsecondary education for individuals with disabilities. It provides educational support services, postsecondary training, transition resources and information on available resources at American universities for disabled students.

Web site:
Heath Resource Center
Donna Martinez
Phone: (202) 973-0904

National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability for Youth (NCWD/Youth)

NCWD/Youth works to ensure that youth with disabilities are provided coordinated, integrated, high quality services in their transition to employment and independent living. It provides support, education and advocacy to youth and families and youth practitioners.

Web site:
National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability for Youth
Curtis Richards
Phone: 202-822-8405, ext163

New York State (NYS) Regional Transition Coordination Site Network

The NYS Education Department has seven Regional Transition Coordination Sites that work with school districts to help prepare high school students with disabilities for living, learning and working in the community as adults. Beginning at age 15, schools are required to provide transition planning and services for students classified as having a disability. Transition planning and services are documented in a student's Individualized Educational Program (IEP), include a coordinated set of activities (services) related to the student's post secondary goals, and take into account the student's needs, abilities, preferences and interests. Although the Regional Transition Coordination Site Network primarily provides technical assistance to school districts, the sites can also provide information to families and youth requesting assistance with transition planning.

Web site:
NYS Regional Transition Coordination Site Network
Sophie McDermott, Project Manager
Phone: 518-474-7566

Parent Advocacy Coalition for Educational Rights (PACER Center)

PACER is a national, non- profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of children and youth with special health care needs. Services include support, assistive technology, education and helpful information, and links towards independent living. All services are provided free of charge by parents of children with special health care needs.

Web site:
PACER Center, Inc
8161 Normandale Blvd.
Minneapolis, MN 55437
Phone: 952-838-0190
Fax: 952-838-0199

Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities (VESID)

VESID is an office of the New York State Education Department. VESID's Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors assist adults with disabilities to become independent through employment. In addition, specific counselors are assigned to work with high school students within two years of their anticipated graduation to assist with the transition planning process. VESID can help an eligible person with a disability plan for a career, obtain job coaching, education or training to achieve work goals, and work with employers and training institutions to make sure reasonable accommodations are provided to individuals when needed.

Web site:
Contact: Vocational Rehabilitation district office which serves your county or borough
Phone: 1-800-222-JOBS


Youthhood is an informational site affiliated with the National Center on Secondary Education and Transition (NCSET), which helps youth plan for life after high school. It is a youth-designed site for youth with special health care needs. Youthhood provides easily accessible information on postsecondary education, independent living, and opportunities to achieve a successful future.

Web site:
National Center on Secondary Education and Transition
Institute on Community Integration
University of Minnesota
6 Pattee Hall
150 Pillsbury Drive SE
Minneapolis MN 55455
Phone: 612-624-2097
Fax: 612-624-9344