Population Health Summit - Making New York the Healthiest State, Achieving the Triple Aim
Webcast and Meeting Materials
New York State Health Commissioner, Nirav R. Shah, M.D., M.P.H. convened a population health summit on December 3, 2013 to bring together state and national leaders to learn about the role public health and other sectors play in improving population health. Among others, Dr. Shah was joined by Thomas R. Frieden, M.D., M.P.H., director, of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), James Knickman, Ph.D., President and CEO, New York State Health Foundation, Thomas Farley, M.D., M.P.H., New York City Health Commissioner, Jeffrey Levi, Ph.D., executive director, Trust for America's Health, Daniel Sisto, Past President, Healthcare Association of New York State and Jo Ivey Boufford, M.D., president, New York Academy of Medicine.
The Plenary sessions focused on improving health care, reduce costs and improve health; delineating the roles of health and non-health sectors in improving population health; highlighting successful local Prevention Agenda coalitions of county health departments, hospitals, clinics, schools, business, community organizations philanthropy; innovative work with hospitals through the New York City health department's Take Care New York initiative; and, defining the roles of employers in improving the health of workers and their communities.
- Population Health, the ACA, Return on Investment: Public Health Perspective (PDF)
- Public Health Sector: Take Care New York: A Strategy for Population-Based Prevention (PDF)
- Health Care Sector (PDF)
- Partnerships to Improve Population Health (PDF)
- Bringing Health to the Table: The Near Westside Initiative (PDF)
- "What's the Catch?" : Forays at the Interface of Primary Care and Public Health in the Bronx (PDF)
- Work, Health and Productivity: The Johnson & Johnson Story (PDF)
- North Shore LIJ, Jeffrey A. Kraut (PDF)
- What is Population Health (PDF)
- Make New York the Healthiest State - Color Brochure (PDF)
- Prevention Agenda Update October 2013 (PDF)
- Frieden, TR. A Framework for Public Health Action: The Health Impact Pyramid. Am J Public Health. 2010;100:590–595.
- Trust for America's Health: Prevention for a Healthier America; Investments in Disease Prevention Yield Significant Savings, Stronger Communities. July 2008.
- Trust for America's Health: A Compendium of Proven Community-Based Prevention Programs. October 2013.
- The new CDC-sponsored Public Health Reports Supplement, Volume 128, Supplement 3, Applying Social Determinants of Health to Public Health Practice, has been released.
- From Theory to Action: Applying Social Determinants of Health to Public Health Practice
- New York State Health Foundation
- Health Research Inc.
- New York Academy of Medicine
- Healthcare Association of New York State
- Greater New York Hospital Association
- New York State Association of County Health Officials
- Community Health Care Association of New York State
- New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene