Nutritional Counseling/Educational Services
Nutritional Counseling/Educational Services is an individually designed service which provides an assessment of the waiver participant's nutritional needs and food patterns, and the planning for the provision of food and drink appropriate for the waiver participant's conditions, or the provision of nutrition education, and counseling to meet normal and therapeutic needs.
In addition, these services may include:
- Assessment of nutritional status and food preferences;
- Planning for the provision of appropriate dietary intake within the waiver participant's home environment and cultural considerations;
- Nutritional education regarding therapeutic diets as part of the development of a nutritional treatment plan;
- Regular evaluation and revision of nutritional plans; and
- The provision of in-service education to the waiver participant, family, advocates, waiver and non-waiver staff as well as consultation on specific dietary problems of the waiver participants.
Nutritional Counseling/Educational Services may be provided by any not-for-profit or for profit health and human services agency.
Staff providing Nutritional Counseling/Educational Services must be a:
- Licensed as a Registered Dietician - Licensed by the NYS Education Department; or
- Licensed as a Registered Nutritionist - Licensed by the NYS Education Department.
Nutritional Counseling/Educational Services can not be provided to a participant without a physicians' written order which is obtained by the Nutritional Counseling/Educational Services provider. The Nutritional Counseling/Educational Services provider must obtain and maintain all physician's orders in the waiver participant's file at the agency according to existing regulations for Nutritional Counseling.
Nutritional Counseling/Educational Services must be provided by a DOH approved provider and must be included in the SP to be reimbursed.
Nutritional Counseling/Educational Services are provided on an individual, per visit basis. In-service education and consultation provided to informal supports or waiver or non-waiver service providers must be included in the SP in order to be reimbursed.
Nutritional Counseling/Educational Services providers participating in Team Meetings will be reimbursed at the per visit rate for their time at the Team Meeting.