Required Training for Group C
Waiver services providers in this group (Assistive Technology, Community Transitional Services, Congregate and Home Delivered Meals, Environmental Modification Services, and Moving Assistance) are responsible for:
- Developing a written training curriculum if one has not been developed by DOH, to meet the requirements identified in this section;
- Ensuring individuals providing the training meet the qualifications specified in this section; and
- Documenting all training in staff files, including all related NHTD training, seminars and conferences attended, by the provider or other entities. whether offered
1. Basic Orientation Training
The qualified waiver service provider will appoint a designee to complete an approved DOH condensed Basic Orientation Training curriculum prior to the agency's provision of services to any NHTD participant. This designee may include, but is not limited to, the Executive Director, owner, direct supervisor or staff assigned to be responsible for oversight of the service.
The training can consist of one-on-one and/or group training to instruct the new waiver service designee .
This curriculum must be obtained by contacting the RRDC. The RRDS will provide a Training-Of-Trainer (TOT) program to the waiver service provider designee. The individuals that have attended the TOT program will then be able to train agency staff in this curriculum, if deemed necessary. A DOH Certificate of Attendance will be issued by the RRDS and must be kept in the agency employee personnel file.
2. Service Specific Training
Service Specific Training prepares the waiver service designee for the roles and responsibilities specific to the waiver service he/she is qualified to provide. This training must be completed prior to any unsupervised contact with a waiver participant and within thirty (30) days of beginning service provision to a NHTD participant. The RRDS will intimately provide this training to the waiver provider's designee.
Service Specific training consists of one-on-one and/or group training to instruct individual staff of their roles as providers of a specific service and as well as their responsibilities to interact with the Service Coordinator and other waiver service providers.
All waiver service providers for this group must include the following information in the curriculum for Service Specific Training:
- 1. Definition and goals of the service and a detailed job description;
- 2. Roles and responsibilities of the provider of the specific service;
- 3. Requirements for prior approval; and
- 4. For providers of Assistive Technology, Community Transitional Services, Environmental Modifications Services and Moving Assistance, the bidding process and final cost report associated with obtaining approval.
3. Annual Training
Annual Training is provided to keep waiver service provider designee up to date regarding their roles and responsibilities specific to the waiver service he/she is qualified to provide. Waiver service provider designee must complete an Annual Training program. Annual Training consists of one-on-one and/or group training.
Annual Training requirements for this group include at a minimum:
- A review of NHTD Participant Rights and Responsibilities;
- A review of the NHTD Incident Reporting Policy and Complaint Procedure;
- A review of all new policies and/or procedures required by the NHTD Waiver which impact the services provided; and
- Additional topics relating to findings of satisfaction surveys, incident reports and trend analyses.
Qualifications of Trainers for Group C Providers
The waiver service designee must be an individual who is:
- Knowledgeable regarding one of the specific areas of required training;
- Familiar with the philosophy, policies and procedures of the NHTD Waiver;
- Knowledgeable regarding the waiver service which is the subject of the service specific training; and
- Trained through the completion of the required DOH "Training-of-Trainer (TOT)" program for the condensed curriculum of the "Overview of NHTD-TBI Waiver" program.
Documentation of Training for Group C Providers
For the designee of each waiver provider agency in Group C, the following documentation must be included in the staff's file:
- Name of the trainer and affiliation/qualifications;
- Verification of staff's attendance at trainings;
- Date and place of trainings;
- Goals and objectives of trainings; and
- Evaluation instruments that measured the success of the training.
Agencies are responsible for ensuring that individuals providing waiver services complete Basic Orientation Training and Service Specific Training. Individuals with documented successful completion of prior training in the content area(s) specified in Basic Orientation Training and/or Service Specific Training may be exempt from such training at the discretion of the provider. If the Certificate of Attendance is more than two (2) years old, the employee must complete and pass the post questionnaire of the Basic Orientation Training, and if applicable, Service Specific Training. The reason for the exemption as well as the post questionnaire results must be documented by the employer in the employee file so it may be reviewed upon request and during the survey process.