Media Advisory: World AIDS Day 2012 Healthy Living Expo to Honor Young People Making a Difference in the Fight Against HIV/AIDS
DOH to Present Distinguished Services Awards on December 5th
ALBANY, N.Y. (November 30, 2012) – State Health Commissioner Nirav R. Shah, M.D., M.P.H., invites schoolchildren and New Yorkers of all ages to join in the observance of World AIDS Day at the Empire State Plaza Convention Center in Albany, December 4 through December 5 to show their support for individuals living with HIV/AIDS.
As part of the observance, on Wednesday, December 5, at 1:30 p.m., the State Health Department will honor young people and youth leaders from across the State for their leadership, compassion and extraordinary efforts in raising awareness of HIV/AIDS in schools or communities.
More than 195,000 New Yorkers have been diagnosed with AIDS and more than 128,000 individuals in the State are currently living with HIV/AIDS.
The NAMES Project AIDS Memorial Quilt will be on display in the Plaza Convention Center from December 4 through December 5.
This year's Distinguished Service honorees are:
- The Stars of CHANGE Program at Hetrick Martin Institute:Alsha Diori, Erica Caldwell, Jairo Alcantara, Lance Montanez, Justin Gomez, Dreama Barden, Daree Brown, Jessica Barbosa, Julien Perkins, Adrenkia Booker, Monte Barronete, Giselle Bleuz, Christopher Quareles and Jonovia Chase.
- Real Talk:Jethro James, Loveasia Walters, Tamara Darnley, Fatima Gamble, Christian Golson and Teniyah Petersen. (Capital Region)
- Outreach to Homeless Youth:Johnny Guaylupo, Regnarian Jenkins, Anya Neal and Lameek Williams.
- Joseph Barnett,Southern Tier Region (Binghamton)
- New York City ACT Youth Network:Saad Abbasi, Caren Balram, Sara Birnel Henderson, Ty'Naisha Brehon, Dymond Cathcart, Sandra Chang, Akeema Duff, Shaqueilla Duff, Janae Harley, Brianna Knight, Jasmin Knight, Michele Luc, Joceline Ore, Shalonte Page Anderson, Tymell Parrish, Najaah Reid, Aaron Santiago, Kindra Syphertt, Kaelynn Traub, Gabriella Vera and Sky Whitney-Dutton.
- Kristie Fuller,Central New York Region (Philadelphia, Jefferson County)
- Ariel Rojas, New York City (Brooklyn)
- Catherine Clauss,Western New York Region (Rochester)
- The BASE Youth Leaders:Melissa Alvarez, Martha Aristy, Raymond Camacho, Elizabeth Duran, Antisugeiry Guadalupe, Xavier Perez, Jendelis Quinones, Elizabeth Rendon and Alexandria Silva. (New York City, East Harlem)
- Ben Barile, Hudson Valley Region (Dutchess County)
- Arthur Ashe Institute for Urban Health:Ruth C. Browne, Lakeisha Lubin, Brignel Camilien, Marilyn Fraser-White, Francis Agbetor, Mary E. Valmont and Edgar Mandeville.
- Youth Enrichment Services(YES) Community of Inclusion Summer Camp Program Family Group Leaders: Josh Terefe, Dillon Seebalack, Roshawna Cooper, Josue Infante, Gabriella Matheson, Victor Parajito, Karen Moody, Dianeldis Disla, Giovanni Delgado and Kevin Garcia.
- New York State Commission of Correction:Alice Haskins, Rodney L. Wright, Stephen W. Nicholas, Phyllis Harrison-Ross and Peggy Loffredo.
- Jeffrey Birnbaum, M.D., M.P.H. – Recipient, Linda Laubenstein HIV Clinical Excellence Award.
The two-day observance of World AIDS Day concludes at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, December 5.
For additional information on World AIDS Day Expo activities, visit the Department of Health webpage at: www.health.ny.gov/WAD.