Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs (CYSHCN) Program
The Children with Special Health Care Needs Program seeks to improve the system of care for children with special health care needs from birth to 21 years of age and their families. The Program helps to shape public policy so families can get the best health care for their children.
Children served by the CSHCN Program have an illness or condition for which they need extra health care and support services. These children might have a serious or long-lasting:
- Physical condition,
- Intellectual or developmental disability, and/or
- Behavioral or emotional condition.
A few examples of such conditions include cerebral palsy or muscular dystrophy, asthma, sickle cell anemia, diabetes, heart conditions, depression, conduct disorder, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
New York State also supports programs in most counties in the state that help families of CSHCN by giving them information on health insurance and connecting them with health care providers. These programs will also work with families to help them meet the medical and non-medical needs of their children.
- Individualized Seizure Action Plan (PDF, 970KB)
This form can be used by a child's physician specialist to describe an emergency treatment plan to be followed at school (created by Epilepsy Foundation of Metropolitan New York).
- Publications Order Form (PDF, 24KB, 1pg.)
- Resource Directory for Children and Young Adults with Special Health Care Needs - descriptions of state programs and services and eligibility criteria
- Caring for Students with Life-Threatening Allergies - New York State Resource Guide (PDF, 1.8MB)
- Health Summary for Your Child with Special Health Care Needs - Binder Version (PDF, 54KB)
- H.I. Doc. (Health Information Document) - Pocket Card for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs" (PDF, 1.2MB)
(You can order the HI Doc card using the publication order form. The card from the Department of Health will work better than the PDF version found here. The card you can get using the order form has special paper that has been pre-folded to fit in your pocket and includes hard protective covers.)
- How Can I Get the Best Health Care for My Child?