Big Band Intervention
Participants in the program
Medium (8) to large (up to 30) especially if 1:4 staff to resident ratio is maintained
- Resident is able to respond in small groups, or thought to have the potential to respond to very stimulating large group.
- Resident responds but do not usually initiate social interaction.
- Resident enjoys observing their surrounding and the actions of others.
- Resident demonstrates discomfort by verbal outbursts, agitation, or regularly seeks to exit the group.
- Resident sleeps through the majority of the program and does not respond in the least (toe tapping, orienting to sound, smiling).
- One staff member should serve as the primary facilitator.
- Two or more other staff should participate in the group, modeling and monitoring residents (note: suggested optimum staff: resident ratio 1:4).
Physical Environment and Equipment Required
- Set up the room with chairs in a circle.
- Have instruments available on a table.
- Have some sheets with large prints ready.
- Have tapes / CD's with music and player, or have music ready.
- Review program methods.
- Tape or CD in player, instruments, song sheets.
Sample Resources for Music from Big Bands
- New Year's 1945 Radio Dancing Party (audiotape cassette). Eldersong Publishers, Inc. P.O. Box 74, Mt. Airy, MD 21771 Tel. (800) 397-0533. http://www.eldersong.com
- Musical Memories Series: 1900-1920, 1920-1930, 1930-1940, 1950-1960, 1960-1970, 1970-1980; Music Sales, 24 East 22nd Street, New York, NY 10010.
- Explore the use of sing along songs with taped vocal music of same era (available from Time-Life (800) 950-7887, http://www.timelife.com
Sample Of Musical Instruments For Music Group
- bongo drums
- castanets (handle ones easier to manage)
- chime bar
- finger cymbals 2" (pair)
- hand drums
- handle bells
- jingle clogs (pair)
- lap drums
- loop bells
- mallets (pair)
- portable keyboard
- rhythm sticks
- sand blocks
- sleigh bells
- tone blocks
- tick tock
- triangle (one suspended in a frame is easier for residents with dementia to use, only one hand is needed to play it)
- xylophone, metallophone
Oversized band instruments can be ordered by catalog:
Suzuki Music (tel. 858-566-9710, www.suzukimusic.com) and from other sources