Participants will be able to:
- Identify 3 residents that would benefit from this intervention.
- State 3 ways of supporting the resident to take part in this intervention.
- List 3 musical instruments that a resident with dementia might enjoy playing.
- Name 3 songs or pieces of music that residents in this facility might enjoy.
Time 45 Min.
- 20 min. Video on use of music for residents with dementia.
- 15 min. Simulated Big Band Musical program.
- 10 min. Discussion/questionnaire
- Obtain and review appropriate video, prepare lecture, questionnaire (PDF, 481.77, 2pg.), use guidelines and sample format (PDF, 22KB, 3pg.) as a guide and for handouts.
- Check video in VCR, setup, starting and stopping points of film.
- Obtain appropriate musical instruments matched to in house resident abilities. Large print song sheets matching songs on tape.
- Obtain or make your own music tape with songs your residents enjoy. Use sample format as a guide.
- Post announcement for all staff and volunteers. (Could use "Enhancing Quality of Life Through Music" or "A Song to Set Me Free" theme).
- Arrange chairs in a semi-circle of 6 chairs at front of room
- Play video and explain program using handouts to illustrate main points.
- Ask for the group's cooperation in being supportive as you demonstrate how to facilitate a Big Band music group.
- Ask for 5-6 volunteers to be "residents" who are in the middle phase of dementia and do not participate unless engaged by staff; and one facilitator to make eye contact with and engage "resident-participants" to participate. (Could hand out papers with resident or facilitator written on them to six people in the group as they come in).
- Give instruments to "volunteer" facilitator to distribute to residents offering them a choice. If a "resident" refuses to take one, that is fine. If a "resident" starts acting up, call on a participant to be her primary caregiver and have her sit next to her to try to calm her.
- Demonstrate facilitating a Big Band group using the sample format as a guide.
- Ask onlookers to act as participants outside the targeted group and participate in whatever way they feel comfortable such as by: clapping, tapping feet, humming, singing.
- Start music. Set timer for 10 min. or appoint timekeeper.
- Circulate from "resident to resident" demonstrating making eye contact and encouraging "residents" to share the music
- Start discussion asking questions on the questionnaire to "resident and facilitator" volunteers and then of the group.
- Ask staff to complete questions 6-10 on the questionnaire and hand in.