The New York State Department of Health collects information about occupational fatalities for both the Census for Fatal Occupational Injuries (CFOI) program and the Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation (FACE) program.
The CFOI program, developed in 1991 by the US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, collects verifiable information on occupational fatalities. This information is used by health and safety professionals to develop strategies for prevention of both fatalities and serious injuries.
The FACE program investigates the factors leading to fatal injuries in the workplace. Recommendations for prevention of future injuries are made and distributed to employers, workers, and other organizations interested in promoting workplace safety.
Rapid identification of workplace fatalities will enable the State Health Department investigators to conduct investigations in a timely manner.
Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries (CFOI)
- New York State Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries 1992-2000
Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation (FACE)
Occupational Fatality Alerts
- Fatal Injuries Among Animal Handlers in New York State
Farmers, veterinarians and other animal service workers handle animals on a daily basis and many of them are injured or even killed at work. This alert summarizes 17 work-related deaths among animal handlers in upstate New York between 2002 and 2008 and proposes preventive measures.
- Snowmaker Safety Training
Ski area employees tend to have high injury rates and snowmaking is one of the high risk operations. These materials were developed to inform snowmakers about how to prevent injuries while operating snowmaking equipment and traveling around the ski area.
- Logging Safety: A Field Guide
This Field Guide was developed to assist all workers who do tree-related work to perform their jobs safely. It provides detailed information in an easily readable format on identifying, assessing, and reducing hazards associated with tree-related work including felling, bucking, limbing, clean-up, chainsaw use and maintenance, use of personal protective equipment and more. It can be used as a classroom training manual as well as a reference guide in the field.
- Confined Space Awareness Training: Preventing Deaths and Injuries to Public Workers
This training module was developed to provide supervisors and workers with information on how to prevent fatal injuries while working in confined spaces. The training is brief, can be easily delivered and provides materials designed to help prevent these injuries from occurring.
- Preventing Deaths and Injuries to Public Workers While Working Around Mobile Equipment
This training is designed to help workers recognize the hazards of working with and around mobile equipment and to teach workers ways to protect themselves and their co-workers while working with and around such equipment. The training can be used by front-line supervisors of workers exposed to mobile equipment hazards or by workers themselves.
|Truck Driver Run Over by Trash Compactor in Municipal Landfill||HTML||PDF (67KB, 1pg.)||Español (PDF, 62KB, 1pg.)|
|Not Following Lockout/Tagout Procedures can be Fatal||HTML||PDF (53KB, 1pg.)||Español (PDF, 48KB, 1pg.)|
|Flooding Fatal Injury Facts||HTML||PDF (196KB, 1pg.)||Español (PDF, 215KB, 1pg.)|
|Farming||HTML||PDF (473KB, 1pg.)||Español (PDF, 501KB, 1pg.)|
|Contractor Run Over by Front-End Loader at City Salt Stockyard||HTML||PDF (70KB, 1pg.)||Español (PDF, 56KB, 1pg.)|
|Tree-Work Fatal Injury Facts||HTML||PDF (522KB, 1pg.)||Español (PDF, 551KB, 1pg.)|
|Sanitation Fatal Injury Facts||HTML||PDF (214KB, 1pg.)||Español (PDF, 292KB, 1pg.)|
|Baling Fatal Injury Facts||HTML||PDF (194KB, 1pg.)||Español (PDF, 285KB, 1pg.)|
|Vehicle Repair Facts||HTML||PDF (295KB, 1pg.)|
|Staging Glass Crates||HTML||PDF (1MB, 1pg.)|
|Case No.||Title||File Type|
|10NY060||A Department of Public Works Worker and a Volunteer Firefighter Died in a Sewer Manhole||HTML||PDF (382KB, 15pg.)|
|08NY067||Contractor Crushed against the Cab of a Dump Truck by the Dump Body||HTML||PDF (373KB, 6pg.)|
|08NY021||Day Laborer at Boat Dock Drowns after Falling into River||HTML||PDF (142KB, 5pg.)|
|08NY011||Crane Boom Collapse Kills Man during Disassembling||HTML||PDF (423KB, 7pg.)|
|07NY137||Equipment Operator Killed by a Lock Ring Propelled from a Multi-Piece Rim Wheel||HTML||PDF (414KB, 8pg.)|
|07NY107||Master Stonemason Dies in Fall from Handmade Work Platform attached to Powered Industrial Truck||HTML||PDF (414KB, 8pg.)|
|07NY092||Newspaper Carrier Killed in a Two-Car Head-On Collision||HTML||PDF (108MB, 6pg.)|
|07NY080||Mechanic Killed when Aerial Work Platform Collapses||HTML||PDF (1.36MB, 10pg.)|
|07NY033||A Plumber Dies After the Collapse of a Trench Wall||HTML||PDF (279KB, 13pg.)|
|07NY015||Construction Laborer Dies after Falling Off Collapsed Precast Concrete Floor Slab||HTML||PDF (603KB, 14pg.)|
|07NY013||Mechanic Dies after being Pulled into a Snow Thrower||HTML||PDF (273KB, 6pg.)|
|06NY084||Truck Driver Buried by Mulch at Town Solid Waste Site||HTML||PDF (263KB, 6pg.)|
|06NY010||Equipment Operator Killed when Pinned to a Tree by an Excavator||HTML||PDF (283KB, 10pg.)|
|06NY001||Worker Crushed by a Crate of Glass in a Residential Construction Site||HTML||PDF (276KB, 9pg.)|
|05NY039||Three Construction Workers Killed after being Struck by a Bus in a Highway Work Zone||HTML||PDF (283KB, 10pg.)|
|05NY034||Guatemalan Tree-Service Worker Killed when Pulled into Brush Chipper||HTML||PDF (152KB, 6pg.)|
|05NY013||Ironworker Foreman Crushed when Bridge Support Element Broke during Dismantling||HTML||PDF (344KB, 10pg.)|
|05NY007||City Employee Killed when Clothing became Entangled around an Unguarded PTO Shaft on a Salt Truck||HTML||PDF (359KB, 7pg.)|
|05NY001||Teenage Farm Worker Dies during Silage Defacer Entanglement||HTML||PDF (278KB, 6pg.)|
|04NY135||Maintenance Mechanic Killed when Improperly Installed Overhead Garage Door Toppled Scissors Lift||HTML||PDF (112KB, 6pg.)|
|04NY121||Farm Worker Dies during Grain Bin Auger Entanglement||HTML||PDF (139KB, 6pg.)|
|04NY077||Farm Owner Dies during Tractor Overturn||HTML||PDF (39KB, 5pg.)|
|04NY024||Machinist Crushed by a Steel Spool while Working on a Hydraulic Lift Table||HTML||PDF (342KB, 7pg.)|
|04NY013||Department Store Employee Crushed in a Baling Machine||HTML||PDF (359KB, 7pg.)|
|04NY012||Flagger Dies after being Struck by a Pickup Truck in a Highway Work Zone||HTML||PDF (168KB, 6pg.)|
|04NY010||Dairy Farm Owner Dies during Manure Pump Entanglement||HTML||PDF (265KB, 6pg.)|
|04NY002||Contractor Run Over by Front-End Loader at City Salt Stockyard||HTML||PDF (404KB, 10pg.)|
|03NY049||Farm Worker Dies during Forage Chopping Entanglement||HTML||PDF (191KB, 5pg.)|
|03NY040||Dairy Farmer Dies from Crushing Injuries Sustained while Loading Cows||HTML||PDF (148KB, 6pg.)|
|03NY036||Truck Driver Dies during Payloader Crushing Incident||HTML||PDF (253KB, 5pg.)|
|03NY034||Millwright Killed when Aerial Work Platform Tipped Over||HTML||PDF (264KB, 7pg.)|
|03NY027||City Engineer Killed in Landfill Manhole when Retrieving Flow Meter||HTML||PDF (320KB, 7pg.)|
|03NY024||Elderly Farm Worker Crushed to Death by Dairy Cows||HTML||PDF (25KB, 6pg.)|
|03NY006||Worker Dies after Falling through a Steel Grid Plate into an Underground Coal Cracker||HTML||PDF (173KB, 9pg.)|
|02NY096||Worker Fatally Injured by Steel Blade while Cleaning a Dough Machine||HTML||PDF (176KB, 10pg.)|
|02NY069||Farm Worker Dies during Manure Truck Overturn||HTML||PDF (255KB, 6pg.)|
|02NY060||Elderly Part-Time Farmer Dies during Fall and Subsequent Runover by Tractor and Attached Brush-Hog||HTML||PDF (193KB, 5pg.)|
|02NY059||Farmer Dies after Backhoe Crushing Incident||HTML||PDF (144KB, 4pg.)|
|02NY055||Contractor Dies in Tractor Overturn while Skidding Logs||HTML||PDF (207KB, 5pg.)|
|02NY027||Truck Driver Killed when Struck by Laminated Veneer Beams||HTML||PDF (199KB, 7pg.)|
|02NY026||Machine Operator Dies of Crushing Injuries when Caught by a Bridle Roller on a Hot Tin Coating Line||HTML||PDF (358KB, 7pg.)|
|02NY023||Part-Time Farm Worker Dies during Tractor Overturn||HTML||PDF (291KB, 5pg.)|
|02NY013||Logger Crushed while Felling a Tree||HTML||PDF (255KB, 6pg.)|
|02NY012||Feed Mill Worker Dies in Grain Bin||HTML||PDF (213KB, 7pg.)|
|02NY007||Truck Driver Run Over by Trash Compactor in Municipal Landfill||HTML||PDF (585KB, 5pg.)|
Other Injury Prevention Products
Preventing Worker Deaths and Injuries When Handling Micotil 300®
Livestock producers, veterinarians and other workers may be exposed to the toxic hazards of the animal antibiotic Micotil 300® while handling the product. Cardiotoxic effects of Micotil 300® on the human heart can be severe enough to cause death. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health recommends that extreme care be given to following safe drug handling and injection procedures to avoid the possibility of self injection. Although no antidote exists for Micotil 300®, exposed persons should seek immediate medical intervention as the drug's cardiotoxic effects may be reversed.
Fatalities Associated with Improper Hitching to Farm Tractors
Many fatalities in agricultural industries are caused by tractor rollovers. The MMWR developed by the New York State Department of Health's Occupational Health Nurses in Agricultural Communities program summarizes the characteristics of one type of tractor rollover incidents: rear rollover and discusses the risk factors and prevention measures.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics - Includes information and data from the Injuries, Illnesses and Fatalities program.
- Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries - Link to New York State Department of Health Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries web page.
- Federal Railroad Administration - Purpose of the FRA is to promulgate and enforce rail safety regulations, administer railroad assistance programs; conduct research and development in support of improved railroad safety and national rail transportation policy; provide for the rehabilitation of Northeast Corridor rail passenger service; and consolidate government support of rail transportation activities.
- Mine Safety and Health Administration - Helps to reduce deaths, injuries, and illnesses in the nation's mines through development and enforcement of safety and health rules. Covered under MSHA are large underground coal mines and processing plants as well as two-person sand and gravel pits.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health - As part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is the Federal agency responsible for conducting research and making recommendations for the prevention of work-related disease and injury.
- NIOSH FACE Homepage - Provides the history of the FACE program, a full description of the program, contact information, and the full text of hundreds of fatality investigation reports.
- National Safety Council - National organization dedicated to improving safety, health and environmental well-being. Includes library resources for safety and health information.
- National Work Zone Safety Information - Information clearinghouse that provides information and referrals to government agencies, public and private organizations, and the general public concerning the safe and effective operation of traffic work zones.
- North American Guidelines for Children's Agricultural Tasks - Developed under the direction of the National Children's Center for Rural and Agricultural Health and Safety to assist adults in assigning farm jobs to children 7 to 16 years, living or working on farms.
- New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health - Provides farm safety and health resources and services as well as agricultural statistics. It is also the Northeast Center for Agriculture and Occupational Health.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration - As an agency of the U.S. Department of Labor, through standards development, enforcement and compliance assistance, OSHA enables employers to maintain safe and healthful workplaces.