Policy Memo 167
DOH-CACFP: Number 167 (05/13), Supersedes Number 158 (05/11)
TO: All Eat Well Play Hard in Child Care Settings (EWPHCCS) Grantees
FROM: Sandra J Rhoades, Director, Homes Administration Unit, Obesity Prevention and Outreach Units, Child and Adult Care Food Program
SUBJECT: Equipment Inventory for EWPHCCS Grantees
I. Purpose and Scope
USDA Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed) Plan Guidance states that "Inventory records shall be maintained for equipment that is paid for with Federal funds. A physical inventory is required every two years." The purpose of this memo is to define requisite equipment and documentation to include in the inventory.
II. Background Information
- Each Registered Dietitian (RD) participating in EWPHCCS received a tool kit with items needed to teach the lessons in the EWPHCCS curriculum.
- Grantees may have purchased additional items such as replacement items or additional supplemental items.
- Grantees will document the serial numbers for all grant funded equipment with a unit cost of $25 or more. This includes equipment that was received in the RD toolkit (boom box with CD player, collapsible cooler on wheels, electric skillet, crock pot and blender) as well as grantee purchases (RD teaching tools, computer, printer, office furniture, etc.). If an item does not have a serial number the grantee will assign and mark it with a tracking number for inventory purposes.
- The grantee will retain this equipment inventory on site, documenting:
- Acquisition date
- Equipment description (include model and serial number)
- Acquisition cost
- Reason for replacement
- When it was taken out of service
- How it was taken out of service
- Depreciation over the useful life of equipment costing more than $5,000
- When a computer is disposed of, the hard drive must be destroyed.
Grantees may use the enclosed sample "EWPHCCS Equipment Inventory Record," design a new form or use an existing form, if the Grantees' organization already has an inventory tracking record in use.
III. Summary of Changes
USDA SNAP-Ed Plan Guidance requires that inventory records be maintained for equipment that is paid for with Federal funds and that a physical inventory be conducted every two years.
The purpose of this memo is to define requisite equipment and documentation to include in the inventory. A sample inventory tool is enclosed.
Enclosure: Sample EWPHCCS Equipment Inventory Record