Body Mass Index Screening Tools
Revised sex-specific Body Mass Index (BMI)-for-age percentile growth charts are now available from the New York State Department of Health.
To order pads of the growth charts, please use this form:
The BMI-for-age percentile growth charts have been updated to include a new weight status category labeled "severely obese" for youths with a BMI at or above the 99th percentile. The prevalence of youth with severe obesity is increasing, and these children are at high risk for serious health problems.
According to the Expert Committee Recommendations for the Assessment, Prevention and Treatment of Child and Adolescent Overweight and Obesity, all youth ages two years and older should be assessed annually using sex-specific BMI-for-age percentiles as part of routine pediatric health supervision.
For screening purposes, youth whose weight status is determined to be overweight, obese or severely obese should be assessed further. This would include a focused review of systems and focused family history, examination of the patient's BMI trajectory, assessment of dietary, physical activity and television/media use habits, and measurement and review of appropriate laboratory tests.
Body Mass Index Calculator
- Body Mass Index (CDC) - includes BMI calculators for adults, children, and teens
Body Mass Index Chart for Girls Ages 2-20
- Color (8.5" x 11") (PDF, 517KB, 1pg.)
- Black and White (8.5" x 11") (PDF, 523, 1pg.)
- Poster (17" x 22") (PDF, 319KB, 1pg.)
Body Mass Index Chart for Boys Ages 2-20
- Color (8.5" x 11") (PDF, 315, 1pg.)
- Black and White (8.5" x 11") (PDF, 315, 1pg.)
- Poster (17" x 22") (PDF, 323, 1pg.)
Pediatric Overweight and Obesity Prevention Recommendations
- Recommendations for Prevention of Pediatric Overweight and Obesity (PDF, 50KB, 2pg.)
- Implementation Guide for Expert Committee Recommendations on the Assessment, Prevention and Treatment of Child and Adolescent Overweight and Obesity
- Integrated Guidelines for Cardiovascular Health and Risk Reduction in Children and Adolescents