Hepatitis C Framework
- "NYS Viral Hepatitis Strategic Plan 2010 - 2015: Framework for Hepatitis C" (PDF, 2.5 MB, 2pg.)
- Background and Rationale
Prevent the acquisition and transmission of the hepatitis C virus.
- Promote the use of effective risk reduction interventions and strategies.
- Expand capacity for hepatitis C screening statewide.
- Improve access to hepatitis C screening and referral for diagnosis.
- Increase the provision of timely referrals for substance use and mental health services.
- Integrate hepatitis C counseling, screening and referral services into existing service delivery systems.
- Maintain adequate infection control practices in health care and other settings.
- Strengthen the foundation for substance use prevention.
Build knowledge and awareness of hepatitis C disease, prevention, risk, treatment and medical management.
- Increase the knowledge of hepatitis C among the general public.
- Improve and expand the knowledge of hepatitis C among health and human service providers.
- Ensure access to culturally-sensitive and linguistically appropriate educational messages for persons, populations and communities at-risk.
- Increase the awareness, understanding of and adherence to proper infection control practices.
- Increase knowledge and promote a healthy lifestyle among persons newly diagnosed or living with hepatitis C.
Surveillance and Research
Determine accurate incidence and prevalence rates for use in conjunction with available research findings to guide decision making.
- Secure adequate resources for state and local surveillance activities.
- Improve capacity for complete and accurate disease reporting among laboratories and providers.
- Use surveillance data to better inform recommendations for hepatitis C prevention programs.
- Improve the epidemiologic investigation and response capacity to community and health care-associated outbreaks.
- Develop and evaluate evidence-based interventions for hepatitis C prevention.
- Conduct hepatitis C-related research to advance prevention, care and treatment.
Medical Care and Treatment
Develop and maintain an infrastructure to provide the highest quality of hepatitis C care and treatment.
- Ensure provider access to current guidelines, regulations and recommendations for hepatitis C diagnosis, treatment and prevention.
- Establish a referral network for hepatitis C diagnosis, care and treatment.
- Assure timely access to hepatitis C diagnosis, care and treatment.
- Integrate hepatitis C care, treatment and supportive services into primary care settings.
- Ensure timely access to substance use and mental health services.
- Address the complex needs associated with hepatitis C through coordination of care.
- Establish programs to support hepatitis C care and treatment for uninsured and underinsured persons.
Policy and Planning
Foster an effective policy and planning environment at the local, state and national levels.
- Maintain and adequate statutory and regulatory environment for hepatitis C prevention.
- Base policy development and decisions on credible information.
- Ensure an inclusive approach to policy development and program planning.
- Provide policy makers with information on the impact of challenges and unmet needs related to hepatitis C.
- Assure the capacity of statewide systems to support hepatitis C-related goals.
- Reduce hepatitis C-related stigma, discrimination, health disparities and cultural barriers.