Choosing a Health Plan
To choose the right plan for you and your family, first find out what health plans are available in your county. If you have a doctor you see often, ask that doctor what plans they participate in. Contact the plan to find out what doctors are accepting patients from that plan and ask any other questions you may have. You are entitled to receive certain information about the plan, even if you are not yet enrolled. You may also want to know more about how well the plan provides the services you use most often.
The links below can help you find out what services a managed care plan offers, what managed care organizations are certified in New York and how to pick the best health plan for you and your family.
- Types of Managed Care Plans Certified by the NYS Department of Health
- Directory of Managed Care Plans
- Plan Performance Reports - How well do managed care plans provide the health care I need?
- Health Insurance Information For Consumers, NYS Department of Financial Services
- Questions to Ask When Selecting a Health Care Plan, NYS Office of the Attorney General
- Choosing and Using a Health Plan, US Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality