Animal Euthanasia Activities
Incorporated societies for the prevention of cruelty to animals and animal control facilities may apply to the department for registration to purchase, possess and dispense sodium pentobarbital to euthanize animals and ketamine hydrochloride to anesthetize animals prior to euthanasia. An agent is assigned by the society or facility and must also apply for registration with the department. A certified euthanasia technician, a person other than the agent, must also apply to the department for certification as summarized below. All requirements, certification, registration, and the utilization of controlled substances in animal control facilities are stated in Section 80.134 of Title 10 regulations. Registrations and certifications are valid for three-year period. No fees are required.
- Application for Registration of an Incorporated Society or Municipal Animal Control Facility to Euthanize Animals (DOH-4333) (PDF, 21KB, 1pg.)
Certification of Euthanasia Technicians
To obtain a certification from the department to administer a solution to euthanize animals, the applicant must:
- Be 21 years of age or older;
- Hold a bachelor or associate degree in animal health sciences or related field; and
- Obtain written certification from two licensed veterinarians (or one licensed veterinarian and one licensed technician) that they have observed the proficient use, by the applicant, of injections for the euthanasia of animals.
An applicant that does not possess the educational requirements may obtain certification from the department if such person has two years’ experience in animal care that included euthanasia of animals.
Renewal of Euthanasia Technician Certification
Certification shall be issued upon receipt of a completed application that includes proof of attendance at a department-approved course in the safe and effective use of a solution in the euthanasia of animals.
Euthanasia Technicians Application Forms
In addition to the application, each applicant must submit a completed Statement of Employer for Euthanasia Technicians form.
- Application for Certification as Euthanasia Technician for Animals (DOH-4332) (PDF, 22KB, 1pg.)
- Euthanasia Technician Statement of Employer (DOH-2165) (PDF, 15KB, 1pg.)