Official Prescription Program
- Effective March 27, 2015, electronic prescribing of controlled and non-controlled substances will be mandatory for practitioners, excluding veterinarians.In the event a written prescription is necessary, section 281 of the Public Health Law requires all prescriptions issued in New York State (NYS) to be written on a serialized Official NYS Prescription form. Please see below for instructions on how to obtain Official NYS Prescription Forms.
(Individual practitioners regardless of practice setting: MD, DDS, NP, PA, DO, etc.)
- Register/Renew: Before a practitioner can order official prescriptions, he/she must register with the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement (BNE). In addition, Public Health Law (PHL) requires that practitioners renew their registration with the Department every two years.
- Register on-line through the Health Commerce System using the application called ROPES (Registration for Official Prescriptions and E-Prescribing Systems)
- Practitioners without a DEA registration number must register/renew using form DOH-4329.
- Physician Assistants must register/renew using form DOH-4329. Physician Assistants must also complete and submit the Official New York State Prescription Authorization Form for Registered Physician Assistants (RPA) DOH-5054
- DEA address changes: Please submit an updated DEA certificate to the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement for processing. Once the address information has been updated in our system (24 hours), the practitioner will be able to order prescriptions reflecting the updated address.
- Ordering prescriptions:
- Use form DOH-250 – Only one practitioner and one address. Prescription pads only. Order received within 7-10 business days.
- On-line through the Health Commerce System (HCS) – Customize with up to 10 practitioners and up to 4 addresses. Prescription pads and Electronic Medical Record (EMR) paper. Order received within 3-5 business days.
(Hospitals, nursing homes, adult homes, etc)
- Institutions/licensed facilities/clinics must possess a valid operating certificate from the oversight agency (DOH, OMH, OPWDD, etc.)
- Register: Before a facility can order official prescriptions, the facility must register with the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement. Please email a request to register with a copy of the operating certificate to BNE at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 866-811-7957 Option 1.
- Ordering prescriptions:
- Facility order form – Email BNE at email@example.com or call 866-811-7957 Option 1 to request an order form. Prescription pads only. Order received within 7-10 business days.
- On-line through the Health Commerce System – Please email BNE at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 866-811-7957 Option 1 for assistance with setting up the facility HCS account. Prescription pads and EMR paper. Order received within 3-5 business days.
- Important Notice to Practitioners and Healthcare Facilities Utilizing EMR Systems
- Exempt Health Care Facilities List (PDF, 155KB)
Lost/Stolen Official Prescriptions
- Lost or stolen Official NYS prescriptions must be reported to the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement using form DOH-4387, Notification of Loss/Theft of Official New York State Prescriptions (PDF 16KB 1pg.)
- Lost or Stolen New York State Prescriptions List for pharmacies.
Return of Official Prescriptions
Official NYS Prescription forms may be mailed back to BNE for the following reasons:
- Deceased practitioner
- Wrong product ordered
- No longer prescribing
- Administrative Action
Mail to: Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement
Albany, NY 12204