Zoonoses are diseases that can be spread from animals to humans under natural conditions. These diseases can include any type of organism, for example, viruses, bacteria, parasites, and prions. Zoonotic diseases may be spread directly from animals to people, or indirectly through the environment or vectors such as ticks, mosquitoes, flies, etc.
Below are links to state and federal information about several important zoonotic diseases or diseases with concerns about zoonotic potential.
- Animal Contact in Public Settings
- Avian Influenza
- Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)
- COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2): Pets and Other Animals, Veterinarian Toolkit
- Healthy Pets Healthy People - learn about the germs animals can spread and how to stay healthy
- Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis (LCM)
- Salmonella Infection from Frogs, Turtles and Lizards
- Salmonella and Backyard Poultry