End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) is a medical condition in which a person's kidneys cease functioning on a permanent basis leading to the need for a regular course of long-term dialysis or a kidney transplant to maintain life.

Did You Know?

You may be eligible for MEDICARE if you have ESRD.

Medicare and End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)

You can get Medicare no matter how old you are if your kidneys no longer work, you need regular dialysis or have had a kidney transplant.

Patients with kidney failure can receive Medicare regardless of age, and without 24 months of disability.

The Medicare End Stage Renal Disease Program is a national health insurance program for people with ESRD.

Learn about your eligibility and coverage options if you need regular dialysis or have had a kidney transplant

If You Have ESRD and Medicaid it is a Requirement that you apply for MEDICARE.

This means that if you do not currently have MEDICARE coverage, you must apply for Medicare and show proof that you have applied, as a condition of eligibility for Medicaid.

For information on how to apply for Medicare with ESRD

Need help applying for MEDICARE?

If you have Medicaid and need help apply for MEDICARE the New York State Department of Health has contracted with several agencies that can help you. Contact one of our Facilitated Enrollers who can help you apply for MEDICARE. Facilitated Enrollers provide free, in person help in your community. To find a Facilitated Enroller near you, please see the list below of agencies, their contact phone number and the counties they serve.

Consumer Assistance for the Aged, Blind and Disabled and Medicare Outreach as a Condition of Medicaid Eligibility
Lead Agencies and Participating Subcontractors
Lead Agency Subcontractor Agency Contact Phone Number Counties Served
COMMUNITY SERVICE SOCIETY OF NY Action for Older Persons (607) 722-1251 Hudson Valley (Delaware), Southern Tier (Cortland), North Country (Chenango and Otsego)
ARISE Child and Family Services, Inc. (315) 472-3171 North Country (Madison and Oswego), Southern Tier (Onondaga)
BronxWorks (718) 508-3122 New York City (Bronx)
Community Outreach Center (845) 356-9600 New York City (Rockland)
Coordinated Care Services Inc. (585) 613-7662 Finger Lakes (Livingston and Monroe)
Directions in Independent Living (716) 373-4602 Western NY (Allegany and Cattaraugus)
Finger Lakes Community Health (800) 346-2211 Finger Lakes (Ontario, Seneca, Wayne and Yates), Southern Tier (Cayuga, Chemung, Schuyler, Steuben)
Health and Welfare Council of Long Island (516) 483-1110 Long Island (Suffolk and Nassau)
Healthy Capital District Initiative (518) 462-1459 Capital Region (Albany, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie)
Harlem Independent Living Center (212) 222-7122 New York City (New York)
Independent Living Center of the Hudson Valley (518) 274-0701 Capital Region (Columbia and Greene)
Independent Living, Inc. (845) 863-4171 Hudson Valley (Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Sullivan and Ulster)
Jewish Community Center of Staten Island (718) 475-1201 New York City (Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens, and Richmond)
Make the Road NY (866) 365-2724 New York City (Kings, Queens, Richmond, and Westchester)
Massena Independent Living Center (315) 764-9442 North Country (Franklin, Jefferson, Lewis, and St. Lawrence)
Medicare Rights Center (212) 204-6213 New York City (Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens, and Richmond)
South Asian Council for Social Services (718) 321-7929 New York City (Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens, and Richmond), Long Island (Suffolk and Nassau)
Southwestern Independent Living Center (716) 661-3010 Western NY (Chautauqua)
Southern Adirondack Independent Living Center (SAIL) (518) 792-3537 North Country (Clinton, Essex, Hamilton, Herkimer, Oneida), Capital Region (Fulton, Montgomery, Washington and Warren)
Southern Tier Independence Center (607) 724-2111 Southern Tier (Broome, Tioga and Tompkins)
United Jewish Organizations of Williamsburg, Inc (718) 643-9700 New York City (Kings)
Urban Health Plan (718) 589-2440 New York City (Bronx, New York, and Queens)
Westchester Disabled on the Move (914) 968-4717 New York City (Westchester)
Western NY Independent Living (716) 836-0822 Western NY (Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans and Wyoming)
NASSAU SUFFOLK HOSPITAL COUNCIL FOUNDATION Nassau Suffolk Hospital Council Foundation (as provider of FE services) (631) 435-3000 Long Island (Suffolk and Nassau)
PUBLIC HEALTH SOLUTIONS Human Resources Administration (347) 396-4705 New York City (Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens, Rockland, Richmond and Westchester)
Public Health Solutions (as provider of FE services) (800)-544-8269
Single Stop USA (800)-290-7189
CHARLES B. WANG COMMUNITY CENTER Charles B. Wang Community Center (as provider FE of services) (718) 587-1100 New York City (Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens, Rockland, Richmond and Westchester)
Queens Jewish Community Council (718) 544-9033 New York City (Queens)
JOSEPH P. ADDABBO FAMILY HEALTH CENTER Joseph P. Addabbo Family Health Center (as provider of FE services) (718) 945-7150 New York City (Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens, Rockland, Richmond, and Westchester)

If you send an e-mail to please include your phone number so we can respond to you as quickly as possible.

Additional Resources

Social Security Office Locator

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services


Where can I find more information on ESRD?

Links to non-State and Federal organizations are provided solely as a service to our users. Links do not constitute an endorsement of any organization by the New York State Department of Health (NYS DOH) or New York State Government, and none should be inferred. The NYS DOH is not responsible for the content of the individual organization web pages found at these links.

National Kidney Foundation

End-Stage Renal Disease Network Program

American Kidney Fund