Get Help Quitting

HUD Public Housing is Going Smoke Free on July 30, 2018!

If you smoke and live in HUD public housing, now is a great time to quit! Your health care provider can help you quit for good with counseling and medication, and Medicaid covers it! Talk to your provider about which treatment may be right for you. U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) public housing is going smoke free to protect people from harmful secondhand cigarette smoke that drifts between apartments and into offices and common areas.

Quitting on your own is hard, but with the right help you don't have to do it alone. Most health insurance plans (Medicaid included) and your health care provider can help you with your smoking addiction.

In 2014, one out of every two smokers attempted to quit because their health care provider recommended it. When you have the support of your health care provider, combined with medication, you more than double your chances of quitting smoking.

Medicaid Managed Care Members

If you are a Medicaid managed care member, Medicaid will pay for most medications that will help you stop smoking. You need a prescription from your health care provider for stop smoking medications, even those that can be bought over the counter, such as the nicotine gum and nicotine patch.

Using medication improves smoking cessation success and helps reduce withdrawal symptoms.

The FDA has approved seven stop smoking medications - five nicotine replacement therapies (gum, patch, lozenge, inhaler, and nasal spray) and two oral medications (bupropion and varenicline).

Medicaid also covers counseling visits to help you stop smoking. Counseling visits, when used together with medications, can help you quit smoking.

  • Smoking cessation counseling must take place in person with your health care provider in either individual or group sessions

For information on your Medicaid coverage, please contact your Medicaid Managed Care plan directly.

For additional information on Medicaid coverage in New York State, and what each plan covers, please visit NYS Medicaid Managed Care Pharmacy Benefit Information Center

  1. Click the "Therapeutic Classes, Other" tab.
  2. Select "Smoking Cessation", and click button "Begin Look-Up"
  3. From here, select your health care plan to see what medications may be covered under your plan!

For more help with your smoking addiction, you can also call the New York State Smokers' Quitline at 1-866-NY-QUITS (1-866-697-8487) or visiting It's a free and confidential service to help you become smoke-free.