Promote Mental Health and Prevent Substance Abuse (MHSA) Action Plan
Mental and emotional well being is essential to overall health.1 The best opportunities to improve the public's mental health are interventions delivered before a disorder manifests itself, to prevent its development. For the Institute of Medicine Intervention Spectrum and other information, read more
- Indicators For Tracking Public Health Priority Areas - County and state rates compared to 2017 objectives.
- Health Data NY - Downloadable data on the Indicators for Tracking Public Health Priority Areas.
- Health Indicator Reports - tables that contains data for all 62 New York State counties, 8 regions, New York City, Rest of State and New York State.
- County Health Indicators by Race/Ethnicity - Minority Health Data and Statistics
Focus Area 1: Promote mental, emotional and behavioral (MEB) well-being in communities: The 2009 Institute of Medicine report concluded there is increasing evidence promotion of positive aspects of mental health is an important approach to reducing MEB disorders and related problems. It will serve as a foundation for both prevention and treatment of MEB disorders.
Focus Area 2: Prevent Substance Abuse and other Mental Emotional Behavioral Disorders: Substance abuse, depression and other MEB disorders hurt the health, public safety, welfare, education, and functioning of New York State residents. In addition to evidence substance abuse and other MEB disorders can be prevented, there is confirmation that early identification and adequate societal support can prevent and alleviate serious consequences such as death, poor functioning and chronic illness.
- Goals and objectives
- Interventions organized by
Focus Area 3: Strengthen Infrastructure across Systems: MEB health promotion and disorders prevention is a relatively new field, requiring a paradigm shift in approach and perspective. Meaningful data and information at the local level, training on quality improvement, evaluation and evidence-based approaches, and cross-disciplinary collaborations need to be strengthened.