What to do if You Think You See a Human Trafficking Situation

Is it an emergency?

Call 9-1-1. Or contact law enforcement.

Do You Think the Child's Parent or Guardian is Involved?

Mandated reporters must call SCR at 1-800-342-3720. SCR is the New York Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment.

Call NHTRC at 1-888-8373-7888. NHTRC is the National Human Trafficking Resource Center. Or get free, confidential help. Text "HELP" or "INFO" to: BeFree (233733).

Human Trafficking is a Crime

On November 1, 2007, the New York State Anti-Trafficking Law took effect. This made human trafficking a state crime. It also set up a process to "confirm" victims of human trafficking.

Refer Victims

You can refer likely victims. The offices below accept referrals from law enforcement agencies. Referrals are also accepted from established providers of legal and social services.

  • The Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance -- OTDA
  • The Division of Criminal Justice Services -- DCJS

How to Make Referrals

To make referrals, providers must complete the New York State Referral of Human Trafficking Victim Form.