What types of divorce records are available?
There are two (2) types of divorce records.
First, there is the divorce decree. This is the document prepared by the court, setting forth the terms and conditions of the divorce. It is signed by the judge and filed with the County Clerk of the County where the decree was issued. This is usually the County where the plaintiff resided. For information about obtaining a copy of a divorce decree, contact the appropriate County Clerk. Please note that if the divorce was granted before January 1, 1963, the divorce decree is the only type of document available.
Second, there is a divorce certificate filed with the New York State Department of Health for divorces granted on or after January 1, 1963. The divorce certificate contains basic information about the spouses, and the date and place the marriage ended. For information about obtaining a divorce certificate copy from the New York State Department of Health, please continue.
Who is eligible to obtain a divorce certificate copy?
- Either Spouse
- Other persons with a New York State Court Order
What is the fee for a divorce certificate copy?
- The fee is $30.00 per divorce certificate copy.
- For Priority Handling: There is an additional fee of $15.00 per divorce certificate copy. (Total per copy is $45.00)
- Internet and telephone orders require a major credit card. These orders receive priority handling and the fee is $30.00 + $15.00 priority handling fee for a total of $45.00 per divorce certificate copy. There is an additional $8.00 vendor processing fee which is charged per transaction (not per copy).
- Payment of mail order copies may be made by check or money order payable to the New York State Department of Health - Do not send cash.
- Payment of mail order copies submitted from foreign countries must be made by a check drawn on a United States bank or by international money order - Do not send cash.
How long will it take?
- Internet or telephone requests receive priority handling and are processed within five (5) to ten (10) business days of receipt. The cost is $45.00 per copy ordered plus $8.00 (per transaction) vendor processing fee. If you chose to have the copy returned to you by UPS overnight delivery, there is an additional UPS fee of $15.50.
- Mail requests ordered with priority handling ($45.00 per copy ordered) are currently processed within two (2) to four (4) weeks from when they are received. Submitting the application to the Vital Records Processing Center by overnight delivery is recommended. Completed requests will be returned by first class mail unless a prepaid return mailer for overnight delivery is provided with the request.
- Mail requests ordered with regular handling ($30.00 per copy ordered) are currently processed within ten (10) to twelve (12) weeks from when they are received.
Identification Requirements - application must be submitted with copies of either A or B:
- One (1) of the following forms of valid photo-ID:
- Driver license
- State issued non-driver photo-ID card
- U.S. Military issued photo-ID
- Two (2) of the following showing the applicant's name and address:
- Utility or telephone bills
- Letter from a government agency dated within the last six (6) months
- Failure to include necessary identification will result in rejection of your application.
- Copy of Passport required in addition to the above ID if request is made from a foreign country that requires a U.S. Passport for travel.
Ordering a divorce certificate copy
Choose a method of ordering and follow the appropriate link below. You will find ordering information and forms to download.