Sampling and Testing for Asbestos
To find laboratories certified for asbestos and fibers analysis, contact the New York State Department of Health, Wadsworth Center, Environmental Laboratory Approval Program, by phone (518) 485-5570 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Air Sampling for Asbestos and Fibers
- Asbestos and Other Fibers by Phase Contrast Microscopy (PCM) - NIOSH Method 7400
This method is for the analysis of asbestos in air by Phase Contrast Microscopy. Results are reported as fibers per cubic centimeter and depend on the volume of air sampled. PCM analysis is not asbestos fiber specific and will count all fibers meeting the methods criteria for fiber determination.
- Appendix A to Subpart E of Part 763, Interim Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM) Analytical Methods
Mandatory, Nonmandatory and Mandatory Sections to determine completion of response actions. This method is for the analysis of asbestos in air by Transmission Electron Microscopy. Results are reported as structures per square millimeter and are specific for the determination of asbestos fibers present in the sample. This procedure is typically required in Schools K-12 after completion of an asbestos abatement project, for final re-occupancy criteria.
Bulk Sampling for Asbestos
- Polarized-Light Microscope (PLM), NYS DOH ELAP 198.1
This is the method for the analysis of asbestos in bulk materials by Polarized-Light Microscopy.
- Polarized-Light Microscope (PLM), NYS DOH ELAP 198.6
This is the method for the analysis of asbestos in Non-Friable Organically Bound bulk materials by Polarized-Light Microscopy. This method combines the tracked gravimetric-reduction preparation of 198.4 with the PLM point-counting of 198.1.
- Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM), NYS DOH ELAP 198.4
This is the method for the analysis of asbestos in Non-Friable Organically Bound bulk samples by Transmission Electron Microscope.
- Revisions to ELAP Certification Manual for Analysis of Asbestos in Bulk Samples.
Clarifications to NYS DOH ELAP methods 198.1, 198.4 and 198.6.
- Polarized-Light Microscope (PLM) for Sprayed-On Fireproofing Containing Vermiculite (SOF-V) , NYS DOH ELAP 198.8
This is the method for the analysis for Identifying and Quantitating Asbestos in Sprayed-On Fireproofing Containing Vermiculite Bulk Samples.
- New Testing Requirements for Sprayed-on Fireproofing Containing Vermiculite (SOF-V)
Announcement (July 22, 2014) of the availability of two NYS DOH ELAP-approved methods for the detection and quantitation of asbestos content in spray-on fireproofing that contains vermiculite:
- NYS DOH's Item 198.8 and
- RJ Lee Group's Method 055.
Laboratories that would like to perform analysis for the detection and quantitation of asbestos content in SOF-V must seek accreditation for Item 198.8.
- Vermiculite Interim Guidance Document
This document (July 9, 2013) was developed through collaboration of the New York State Department of Health and the New York State Department of Labor.