You can count on WIC!
New York State Women, Infant and Children (WIC) offers:
- Breastfeeding-friendly clinics staffed with trained breastfeeding counselors
- A food package with additional nutritious foods especially for breastfeeding mothers
- Mother-to-mother support through its peer counselor program
- Experienced staff and peer counselors at WIC who understand the needs of breastfeeding mothers
- Breast pumps based on individual assessments
WIC's breastfeeding services are especially designed to give you the support you can count on to breastfeed successfully at home, in public or at the work place.
NYS WIC offers a variety of educational materials and support, including the Peer Counselor Program, to support your decision to breastfeed.
Here's what one Mom had to say about the support she received at her local WIC clinic:
"The breastfeeding peer counselor from WIC made me feel more confident about breastfeeding. The support provided by the clinic helped me to be successful with the decision I made to breastfeed my baby."
At WIC, the staff listens to you. The staff and peer counselors offer information based on science and experience to meet your needs and concerns.
- "Promises" is available in Portable Document format (PDF, 1.63MB, 1pg.)
- "Promesas" is available as a Spanish PDF (PDF, 352KB, 1pg.)
- "Promises" is available as a Chinese PDF (PDF, 423KB, 1pg.)
For more information on breastfeeding:
- Welcome to Breastfeedingpartners.org
- United States Breastfeeding Committee
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Breastfeeding - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- La Leche League International
- National Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition
- Breastmilk. Every Ounce Counts