Radiation Equipment Registration: Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How can I contact your office?

A: You can contact us by telephone at (518) 402-7570, by email at berp@health.ny.gov or mail at:

Center for Environmental Health
Bureau of Environmental Radiation Protection
Empire State Plaza-Corning Tower, Room 1201
Albany, New York 12237

Additional contacts are available on our Contact Us page.

Q: I have lost/misplaced my facility registration certificate. How do I obtain a replacement?

A: We require a written statement for a replacement. The request may be faxed to (518) 402-7575 and must include:

  • your registration ID number;
  • name and address of the installation;
  • reason you are requesting the replacement (i.e. lost, misplaced, etc.); and
  • the signature of the requestor.

Q: What is a CRESO?

A: A Certified Radiation Equipment Safety Officer is an individual who is currently certified by the Department of Health to inspect dental, podiatric, and veterinary facilities.

Q: What is the inspection schedule for CRESO inspections?

A: Dentists and podiatrists are inspected every five years. Veterinarian and animal hospitals are inspected every three years. An inspection is also required for new equipment when it is added to the facility, as well as for old equipment whenever it is moved.

Q: How can I contact a CRESO?

A: You may find a list of CRESOs servicing your area by using this map.

Q: My facility is moving. What information do I need to provide?

A: Please mail to this office the original registration certificate with updated information. Include name, address, Radiation Safety Office phone number, federal tax ID number and updated equipment information. An inspection is required whenever equipment is moved.

Q: I am closing my practice or disposing of my radiation equipment. What information do I need to provide?

A: Return a completed disposition of x-ray form and your original registration certificate. Your installation will remain active until we receive the completed disposition form. If you are a physician, you may need to contact the Patient Record Access Program in the Office of Professional Medical Conduct (phone: 518-402-0820) to ensure the disposition of your patient medical records.

Q: I am opening a new practice. What information do I need to provide?

A: Please contact this office, two weeks prior to the first day of operation, at (518) 402-7570. We will need:

  • the business name of the facility;
  • person in charge of radiation safety (radiation safety officer);
  • address, phone number, county;
  • federal tax ID number;
  • equipment type and number to be used; and
  • the date of the first day of operation.

Q: I am purchasing somebody else's practice or radiation equipment. What information do I need to provide?

A: Registrations are non-transferrable. The original owner must complete a disposition of x-ray form and mail both the form and the original registration certificate to this office. The new owner must contact this office at (518) 402-7570, two weeks prior to the first day of operation, to open a new registration as described above.

Q: I have received my annual bill but not my registration certificate? What should I do?

A: Facility registration certificates are mailed to a facility once payment has been processed. Certificates are mailed out in batch every week. Billing is done annually, renewal certification is bi-annually.

Q: How do I know an inspection is due?

A: Look for a yellow sticker on your equipment. It will indicate the date of your last inspection. If you cannot locate a sticker, you may also contact this office to find out the date of your last inspection. If you are overdue for inspection, you will receive a letter by mail informing you that your inspection is past due.