Official Prescription Program
New Registration for Official Prescriptions and E-Prescribing Systems (ROPES) effective September 23, 2021
The new application can be accessed through the Health Commerce System.
Mandatory Electronic Prescribing Effective March 27, 2016
Practitioners are mandated to electronically prescribe both controlled and non-controlled substances effective March 27, 2016. However, there are a number of exceptions in which a practitioner may issue an Official New York State prescription (ONYSRx) form, oral prescription or a fax of an ONYSRx.
Information regarding e-prescribing may be accessed at the following links:
(Individual practitioners regardless of practice setting: MD, DDS, NP, PA, DO, etc.)
- Register/Renew: Before a practitioner can order official prescriptions, the practitioner must register with the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement (BNE). In addition, Public Health Law (PHL) requires that practitioners renew their registration with the Department every two years.
- Practitioners with or without a DEA number can renew their registration on-line through the Health Commerce System using the application called ROPES (Registration for Official Prescriptions and E-Prescribing Systems)
- Physician Assistants must still register/renew using form DOH-4329. Physician Assistants must also complete and submit the Official New York State Prescription Authorization Form for Registered Physician Assistants (RPA) DOH-5054
- Ordering prescriptions:
- Use updated form DOH-250 – Only one practitioner and one address. Prescription pads only. Order received within 7-10 business days.
- On-line through the Health Commerce System (HCS) – Customize with up to 10 practitioners and up to 4 addresses. Prescription pads and Electronic Medical Record (EMR) paper. Order received within 3-5 business days.
(Hospitals, nursing homes, adult homes, etc)
- Institutions/licensed facilities/clinics must possess a valid operating certificate from the oversight agency (DOH, OMH, OPWDD, etc.)
- Register: Before a facility can order official prescriptions, the facility must register with the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement. Please email a request to register with a copy of the operating certificate to BNE at email@example.com or call 866-811-7957 Option 1.
- Ordering prescriptions:
- Facility order form – Email BNE at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 866-811-7957 Option 1 to request an order form. Prescription pads only. Order received within 7-10 business days.
- On-line through the Health Commerce System – Please email BNE at email@example.com or call 866-811-7957 Option 1 for assistance with setting up the facility HCS account. Prescription pads and EMR paper. Order received within 3-5 business days.
- Important Notice to Practitioners and Healthcare Facilities Utilizing EMR Systems
- Exempt Health Care Facilities List (PDF, 155KB)
Lost/Stolen Official Prescriptions
- Lost or stolen Official NYS prescriptions must be reported to the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement using form DOH-4387, Notification of Loss/Theft of Official New York State Prescriptions (PDF 16KB 1pg.)
- Lost or Stolen New York State Prescriptions List for pharmacies.
Return of Official Prescriptions
Official NYS Prescription forms may be mailed back to BNE for the following reasons:
- Deceased practitioner
- Wrong product ordered
- No longer prescribing
- Administrative Action
Mail to: Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement
Albany, NY 12204